Monday, March 13, 2006

What happen to little girls

Somedays I just love Oprah.... not so much her anymore but the topics and her guests (when they get a chance to speak)

Todays topic was young girls and their percecption of themselves. OH MY GOD!!! I was in tears, afraid and DISGUSTED!! 16 year olds saying they have had up to 8 partners, girls crying because they feel ugly or fat or dumber than friends. NO self esteem and NO activities to keep them busy!

When I was 13.. I didn't have a care in the world except playing softball... clothes?? who cares as long as they fit, are clean and no one will laught at me for wearing them.. COOL!!

At 15 I was changing akwardly into a young lady.. boobs that popped out like torpedos and a changing face and voice.. YUCK!! But still playing ball. I lucked out and never had acne, I had a great group of friends, yet I wasn't as cool as them fashion wise... I don't recall caring or trying to fit in that way anyway.. except the one time racquel I think or maybe sheri bought me a "babydoll" dress meant to be worn with leggings... HAHA I felt SO weird, like everyone was staring at me and laughing. I did wear the latest and greatest so long as they were guess jeans, shorts or overalls though!! I always had ESprit shirts and bags. Boys were my secret I had crushes and all my girlfriends knew but the boy didn't.

17, was a whole new ara for me, I worked alot. I had a boyfriend and thats when I chose to "give it up" which much to my suprise was late as I was told.. I don't recall it being much later than my friends, just wasn't something we all talked about.

Things are so different these days, girls are older than their age. My 10 year old has had her period!!! GUH!!! She has boobies and talks about boys that like her and her friends that have done things I didn't do until I was much older. She asked to get her hair highlighted and nails done... WHAT?? NO!! say it isn't so!! She wants to shop at American Eagle and Abercrombie!!

I know I may be old fashioned or out of the loop but I still want to dress Emmy, I want to braid her hair and dress her in Gap khakis and a cute little shirt, mary jane shoes and a sweet little backpack. I don't want to supress her I just want her to accept and appreciate the short youth she gets.

They are all growing up to fast, im sad about it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home